Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Bacon Popcorn



I like popcorn. I like bacon. Yesterday I found out I don’t like popcorn and bacon together. About a year ago I found this on Noshetiria, a recipe seemingly made for a pro-bacon / pro-popcorn guy like me. So I ran across the street to Kroger and picked up a package of Wright’s Brand naturally smoked, maple flavored bacon and a jar of Redenbacher’s original gourmet popcorn. Paradise awaited me, right? Wrong.

Looking back, I should have bought regular bacon because the maple-flavored variety didn’t do the trick. I hoped it would turn out something like kettle corn, but instead it tasted like maple syrup corn. All the bacon found its way to the bottom where it somehow managed a way of clinging to the kosher salt (that had also fallen to the bottom). Surprisingly, the popcorn wasn’t very greasy and took on a salty, bacony flavor. I kept it in the fridge overnight and it tasted so-so in the morning.

To make:

  • One pack of bacon – your choice.
  • Cook bacon, set on paper towels, pour grease into hot pan.
  • Pop the popcorn in the bacon grease.
  • Salt & pepper to taste, add crumbled bacon.

Don’t use maple-flavored bacon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well,. I do like bacon though we don't have it often cause it's so
BAD for your arteries.......and I like popcorn.
THE TWO TOGETHER...no thank you , sir.

Unknown said...

Interesting concept.
Try putting the salt in the grease before you put the popcorn in. It will then more evenly coat the popcorn with the grease and salt.

I agree that Maple bacon is the wrong choice.
Im gonna have to try this.